Monday, November 9, 2009

Bell Cake

Sorry it took so long to post a new cake, I'm slow but sure. I made this cake for my mother-in-law's birthday. She collects bells so I thought this would be unique & special just for her. It started out for a small gathering & kept growing until it reached 100 people. So, my idea of a simple small bell large enough to feed family & friends grew into a monster bell to feed 100+ (note to self, next time change the theme & design of the cake to reasonably accomodate the servings). I also made a sheet cake (no picture) because I wasn't sure if more people were going to show or if the cake wasn't cut right it would never feed that many people. My sous chef is a life saver, he definitely deserves a raise! This cake stood about a foot and a half tall & was 10" at the bottom & 6" at the top. We had a time covering this beast in fondant, it took us approximately 9 tries to get it even close & still wasn't as neat as I wanted (hence the wrinkles & different piping on each side). At 5 AM I was in tears & the cake was due at 11 AM. We finally got it on there with a minimal amount of tearing (thank goodness for decorations like piping- it covers MANY mistakes!). We learn something new from each cake.

Keep checking back for Thanksgiving & Christmas cakes. There will be at least 3 cakes for Christmas; however, not all with Christmas themes. Thanks for looking!


1 comment:

  1. WOW - I know Mara's mom-in-law was tickled and thrilled with this cake because it was done with love.
    You did fantastic, my child/m

    ReplyDelete